Headaches are a condition that compromises the quality of life for many Americans. There are several different types of headaches, and migraines are often confused as one and the same thing, but there are some that are worse than others.
The most painful type of a headache is known as a cluster headache and nicknamed the “Suicide Headache.” According to The Migraine Trust, it is estimated that 1-2 in 1000 people suffer from this type of debilitating headache.1 A cluster headache is characterized by these symptoms:
- Rapid onset in 5-10 minutes to full intensity and lasting typically 30-60 minutes
- Pain in the face/temple area that is one-sided
- Severe pain behind one eye that may cause tears
- Alcohol is a common trigger
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and migraines download our complimentary e-book Natural and Drug-Free Ways to End Your Migraines by clicking the image below.
Anyone with cluster headaches can attest to how bad they can affect daily living. NFL football player Terrance Knighton (aka Pot Roast) describes them as living in a personal “hell.” You have to be tough to play nose tackle in the NFL like Knighton does, but even this 355-pound man says, “On a scale of one to 10, the pain is a 50.”2 Recently, he was affected so badly, he missed a key game in November. He has been to 20-30 doctors since the headaches began in the 5th grade, and he hopes for a cure to come soon.
Headache Relief Sacramento CA
Many people in the Fair Oaks area are looking for a more natural treatment that does not involve powerful drugs or invasive surgery. Headache specialist, Dr. Brett Gottlieb, helps his patients accomplish relief naturally from headaches in Sacramento as an upper cervical chiropractor.
It is proven through research that headaches are related to the atlas bone (C1 vertebrae) and central nervous system. Patients who suffer from headaches may have a misalignment in the upper neck that affects the brain and body’s ability to function. It has been scientifically proven that, in a review of 100 patients with headaches under upper cervical chiropractic care, that a misalignment was present at the atlas, and when specifically corrected, headaches were reduced, and quality of life improved.3
- Cluster Headache. http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-cluster-headache-10908 (accessed 10 April 2015).
- Keim J. Cluster headaches a living ‘hell’ for Redskins’ Terrance Knighton. http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/21326/cluster-headaches-a-living-hell-for-redskins-nt-terrance-knighton (accessed 12 December 2015).
- Elster EL. Upper cervical chiropractic care for a patient with chronic migraine headaches with an appendix summarizing an additional 100 headache cases. J Vert Sublux Res 2003;AUG(3):1-10
To schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Gottlieb call 916-965-7155 or just click the button below.